Bacon Apple Coffee Cake

For those who are thinking of bailing at the very sight of the words bacon and coffee cake appearing together, stay with me. I swear, bacon apple coffee cake is good. In fact it's pretty amazing. Everyone who has tried it has raved. And the universe doesn't often align in this manner. You see, not only did I bake something, but I wrote down the measurement for the recipe! Wow.

My poor family. They just wanted something nice and sweet for a weekend breaky. I started off with a normal coffee cake in my head. But as I started assembling the ingredients, I feared the sugariness of it, ack blech yuck, sweet. So I veered off course. Methinks, I'd prefer bacon to yucky old sticky coffee cake. Bacon, bacon, bacon, BACON! Why not? Why not go there, put bacon in the coffee cake?

As it turns out, the resulting cake is stellar, not too sweet, but not overwhelmed by the bacon, either. Perfection with a cup of coffee to cut through the sweetness and pick up the hints of smoke.

Begin by frying up some bacon crumbles, at least 8-10 slices, but more isn't a bad thing. Once they're browned and crispy, remove them from the pan. Measure 2 1/2 Tbsp. of bacon grease into a bowl, and set it aside until it starts to become cloudy and somewhat solid (this happens pretty quickly if you pour it into a room temp glass or ceramic bowl).

In the meantime, grease an 8x8" baking dish, and cover the bottom with peeled and diced apples. Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and brown sugar (to taste).

In a small bowl, combine the bacon crumbles with a little extra bacon grease, a spoonful of cornstarch, a tiny pinch of salt, and a few spoonfuls of brown sugar until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside your bacon streusel.

Cream together the 2 1/2 Tbsp. of bacon grease with 1/3 c. sugar, then beat in a large egg and a tsp of vanilla. Stir in 3/4 c. cornstarch, 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a heaping 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. Slowly stir in 1/3 - 1/2 c. milk to form a thin batter.

Pour the cake batter over the apples, then top with the bacon streusel. Bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

I'm sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop, and the 12 Days of Bloggie-mas.

Comments

  1. BUTTER - you are AMAZING - you can't even make coffee cake normal and I LOVE it. I read the title and thought - "seriously?? but I know bacon is good with apples so why not?!" I like sweet cake - but methinks I would LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon and Apple two of my husband's favorites! I'll have to try this see what he says!
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yes, this sounds awesome! Did you see my apple coffee cake w/ bacon pecan streusel that I posted a couple of months ago? This is much the same...and I adored that!! We're definitely groovin' on the same wavelength ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never turn away from bacon. No matter what. And I always love seeing it used in new ways. To me, this sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting!
    What is the xanthan gum for? I've never used that. I have no idea where to get it either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doncha know, bacon is Meat Candy?! Love the idea of this combo!

    I'll definitely try this idea, but I'll use a gluten-free coconut flour coffee cake recipe that is also relatively low carb and has decent protein (8 or 9 eggs needed).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi AH - Xanthan gum gives gluten-free recipes that stick-togetherness that wheat recipes naturally have. Without it, gf baked goods can be very crumbly. If you can eat wheat, then just use wheat flour instead of cornstarch and omit the xanthan gum.

    In case anyone else missed Heather's yummy recipe like I did, here's the link http://www.girlichef.com/2010/09/apple-coffee-cake-w-pecan-bacon.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds amazing..i just so happen to have bacon and apples handy--sounds like a morning project for me :) can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apples and bacon in a cake sounds delicious. The combination is a must try for me. Just in time when was looking for something new to bake.

    I can't wait to see my family reaction.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great twist on coffee cake! The bacon would be so delicious with the apples. Excellent idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say I'm not convinced lol but I'm definitely intrigued enough to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon actually makes me more intrigued! I've seen so many awesome bacon recipes lately and am a very happy camper! What a gorgeous recipe!

    Hope you'll swing on over and enter my CSN giveaway this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds wonderful! I love bacon and apple together - great idea combining them in a coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, well well, I could call you the B word for making me CRAVE bacon coffee cake, but I wont because your name is already BUTTER! Seriously, this looks so good I am going to have to try it, but before I do, i will share it on my hearth and soul hop highlights at a moderate life this friday because it looks so freaking good. There, you made me almost swear! :) thanks as always for hosting and posting on the hearth and soul hop! hugs. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aurelia - I understand it might not be for everyone's tastes. If you want to do a less bacon-y version, then use butter in the cake.

    Alex - Gasp! You would call me the B word? ... I'm so happy, I love it when you call me Butter, it's like music to my ears. Thanks for the shout out, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HOLY!! This must be made now. Mistress of bacon must be obeyed. Seriously, this is inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts