Ultimate Sunchoke Recipe

Seems like there are two types of eaters in this world - the people who do best with what is familiar, and those who seek culinary adventure. I definitely fall in the latter group. I'll try anything once. I want to taste it all!

It makes me a very happy camper when I try a new food and have the added bonus of being blown away by it. That's what happened with me and sunchokes. I'd never had them before a few months ago. They're so unassuming; they just look like ginger or fat grubs. And I've always heard other people describe them as being rather bland and potato-like.

So, when I had the chance to try sunchokes, I took the opportunity, but wasn't expecting much. And that's why I was astounded by the flavor of sunchokes. Maybe my taste buds are just funny, but I find them to have a very strong flavor, ringing with touches of mineral and smoke. So unusual, so good.

And they're certainly as versatile as a potato, good as chips, lightly cooked, added to soups, etc. But my favorite way to cook sunchokes leaves them sticky and savory on the outside, and pudding-soft in the center. And the recipe couldn't be easier.


After giving your sunchokes a good scrub, dress them liberally with your choice of poultry fat. Duck and goose are ideal, but chicken schmaltz is good, too. Then hit the sunchokes with a cranks of black pepper, and some of your very best salt, and roast them in a 400 degree (F) oven until they are soft when pierced with a knife, and sticky brown on the outside.

Eat 'em as you please, but here's what I recommend. Roasted sunchokes are a delight, so leave the utensils in the drawer, and enjoy them as finger food. Bite off one end, suck out the insides (yes, I mean it!), and then try the texture and flavor contrast of the skin. Fun, isn't it? Get used to it, food should be fun.

I'm sharing this recipe with Fight Back Friday. Help fight the good fight, click the link.

Popular Posts