Grapefruit Juniper Curd



It's been noted that I like to eat butter on everything.  And it's true.  I do actually think that butter makes everything better.  With thick tart-sweet custardy curds, I even get the chance to have butter with citrus fruit.  Genius!

Yesterday, a friend and I celebrated our first annual Harold & Maude holiday.  Slippers, a warm fireplace, and three drowsy hounds made for a cozy viewing of the best film ever made.  I knew that I'd be good to go with a big bowl of salty popcorn.  But I wanted to make sure my sweet-toothed buddy could satisfy her cravings as well, so I whipped up a small batch of grapefruit juniper curd.

Of course lemon curd is the traditional incarnation of this dish.  But curds can be made with a large range of fruits, once you've mastered the basic premise.  Blood orange curd is one of my favorites.  I've also made both rhubarb and sumac curds.

On this occasion, I decided to pair ruby grapefruit with juniper berries.  Perhaps this sounds like an odd combination, but just imagine a sparkling grapefruit cocktail made with gin, and you'll start to get an idea what grapefruit juniper curd tastes like.  The juniper berries I forage from the local low-lying bushes as surprisingly sweet, with a definite taste of fruity pear in addition to the usual gin high notes.  This makes them particularly nice in sweet dishes.  If you'd like to read more about juniper, have a look at the November Wild Edible Notebook, written by Wild Food Girl.


Grapefruit Juniper Curd

6 Tbsp. butter, room temp
1 c. sugar
2 juniper berries, finely ground
2  eggs
2  egg yolks
2/3 c. grapefruit juice
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. grapefruit zest

In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar, juniper, and butter as if starting a batch of cookies. Slowly add in eggs and extra yolks, and mix until well combined. Stir in the grapefruit and lemon juice (the mixture will look curdled). In a heavy saucepan, cook the mixture over med-low heat, whisking constantly so that you don't end up making scrambled eggs, until it's thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 170 degrees F). Remove from heat, and stir in grapefruit zest. Chill before serving.

Comments

  1. Thank you, sweets! It's fun to mix it up and play with the bright flavors of a curd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. Your pictures are stunning. I need more time in the kitchen! Egad. Thanks for the shout out, again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and, I just happened to come into a bunch of grapefruits so maybe I will try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind finding this in my stocking!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts