Porcini Deviled Eggs


A day before a big snow storm swept through the area, I received an unexpected treat on my doorstep.  The weather had been warm enough at that time for my friend's hens to start laying.  I appreciate that eggs are a seasonal product, and try to always hold out for real farm eggs.  My oh my does that ever make for a long winter, though!

The very first thing I did was poach an egg to put on a salad.  The way an oozing egg yolk can elevate a simple salad is nothing short of magic.  What a great way to kick off egg season.

Next, I got to try out a recipe idea I've had in my head since last fall - porcini deviled eggs.  I love eggs.  I also love mushrooms.  So, what could be better than mushroomy eggs, I ask?  Well, you'll have to try them to find out for yourself.  I thought they were pretty amazing.

Porcini Deviled Eggs


6 hard boiled eggs
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 Tbsp. mayonnaise (homemade is best, but I won't be a jerk and insist upon it)
2 tsp. minced shallot
10 rings of sliced pickled jalapenos, minced
1 Tbsp. porcini mushroom powder*
generous pinch of salt


1.  Slice the hard boiled eggs in half.  Remove the yolks and place them into a small bowl. 

2.  Use a fork to mash the yolks together with the remaining ingredients to form a smooth paste.

3.  Spoon the filling into the egg whites (or pipe it in, if you're feeling fancy).

4.  Top the porcini deviled eggs with a sprinkling of paprika or a few snips of chives.

*make your own porcini powder by whizzing up dried porcini in your electric spice grinder

Comments

  1. Oh, I do love a good deviled egg. Could eat a dozen all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! How mushroomy are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like you've been making good use of the mushroom powder this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is useful stuff. Plus, it's a great way to budget your porcini use if you didn't have a good year.

      Delete
  4. Great recipe! I just made a double-batch for today. I should have made a triple batch because I ate half of them myself. Oops!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most magnificent to read the mushrooms recipes here so nice. Is best variety of inspiration.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As it is, I'm the one who eats all of the deviled eggs at every picnic. If you go and add porcini mushrooms to them, then you are risking me stuffing all of them into my mouth at once like a chipmunk, or possibly trying to smuggle them away in my purse, which could be messy, LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the deviled egg loves club, too. I might just make up a huge batch of these and sit in a closet and eat them all ;)

    Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts