Sesame-Crusted Asparagus Spears

Loch Ness Monster or Sesame-Crusted Wild Asparagus?
I'm sad to report that asparagus season is almost over here - almost.  You can be certain that I won't stop looking until the last spear has overgrown into a soft fern-like tree shape.  I was nearly ready to give up last week.  Then we got some rain.  My asparagus bone is itching, and I just know that I won't be able to resist the urge to look a few more times.  After all, the flavor of wild asparagus is so concentrated and pristine that it is worth to time to search out even a small handful of spears.

Asparagus is one of the few items I forage which can be found in a conventional supermarket.  That means that I have the opportunity to eat it at other times of year.  But I don't.  I won't.  I just can't.  The taste of feral asparagus is just too special.  So when I shows up at someone's Thanksgiving or New Year's feast, I'll probably "forget" to put some on my plate.  I prefer to let my mind twist and turn around the memory of grassy green spears thrusting through the ground to the silent music of spring, and properly anticipate next year's hunt.

Sesame-Crusted Asparagus Spears


1-2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
pinch of white pepper
1 pound asparagus
1/3 c. sesame seeds

1.  Place the egg whites into a wide shallow bowl, and beat them with a fork until broken, but not foamy.  Stir in the soy sauce and pepper.

2.  Pour the sesame seeds into another wide shallow bowl.

3.  Dip each asparagus spear into the eggwhites, then into the bowl of sesame seeds.  Completely cover the spears in sesame seeds.

4.  Roast the sesame-crusted asparagus spears on a greased baking sheet in a 425 degree (F) oven, until the fattest spear can be pierced with a knife and the sesame seeds have browned, 8-10 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You still have time to share your favorite recipe using wild asparagus.  Send it into wildthings.roundup@gmail.com before the end of May!  Thank you.

Comments

  1. I can't believe you said your asparagus bone is itching :).

    Never actually tasted wild asparagus. I've tasted the ones fresh out my garden, but they're already ferns by now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, now I have an awesome asparagus recipe to try and no more wild asparagus with which to try it, compounded with a guilt trip about trying it with the store-bought kind. Just kidding;) The recipe looks great, especially because it contains soy sauce! And I'm sure garden fresh asparagus would do it justice...

    BTW, knowing that you have an asparagus bone makes it much easier to understand why you are so good at finding wild asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, this recipe would work well with any kind of asparagus.

      I'm pretty sure I do, in fact, have an asparagus bone. If other people have sweet teeth, then I think I can have an asparagus bone :D

      Delete
  3. Looks delish! Whats wrong with the yolks for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with yolks. I just didn't have any whole eggs around at the time. But I did have about three pints of egg whites in the freezer. I was afraid someone was going to mistakenly think I was trying to make a low-fat recipe, hahahaha!

      Delete
  4. Somebody mentioned to me mixing a little honey and oil, brushing that on the asparagus, then sprinkling with sesame seeds and grilling. Sounded AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! I need to store that one in a mental file for next year (unless I find a bit more this year!).

      Delete
  5. I agree with you that the flavor of wild asparagus is unforgettable. In my case, it belongs to my childhood and it is paired with eggs. When I buy asparagus now, I roast them and pair them with sesame seeds, like you did here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me, did you finish your egg story?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts