Black Walnut Porcini Ice Cream


Being that I'm not a dessert person, there aren't many sweets that I'd chose over a good slab of meat.  But this may be one of them.  Black walnut ice cream has always been my favorite, hands down, no contest, there are only distant seconds.  But the addition of earthy porcini mushrooms has elevated this classic into something that makes me a little loopy with joy, something that causes me to dirty my face licking the bowl, something which makes me want to dot my i's with hearts. 


Black Walnut Porcini Ice Cream

Over low heat, infuse whole milk with some powdered porcini mushrooms and powdered black walnuts for 15 minutes.  Let cool to room temp, then chill.

Once your milk has once again gotten cold, combine it with an equal amount of cream, sweeten with a touch of maple syrup, and add in some black walnut pieces.  Super-chill this mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes (or longer for larger volumes), until it's very cold but not yet starting to freeze.  After that, all that remains is to process it in your ice cream maker of choice.

It really is that simple.  And don't say you weren't warned if you start dotting your i's with hearts.


I'm sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop, Real Food WednesdayPennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, and Fat Tuesday.

Comments

  1. Whoa - this is not your typical ice cream. Me wants to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious, love the unique flavors in there. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a combination! I would never have thought to add mushrooms to ice-cream - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A savoury themed icecream. Wow. I'll say is again - WOW! I've got to try it! I have powdered porcini mushrooms in the pantry. It's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings. I see you are on our mailing list. We have a mutual friend that is active on the site. She has passed on your name as someone that she would like to see submitting recipes so that she can easily add your links to her eRecipeBox.

    Here's my generic invitation, it is doubly heartfelt for your terrific blog. As an "old timer", I like to think there is a certain "espirit de Corps" to keep new bloggers inspired and enjoying the hobby.

    I only send out a mailing once a month, forgive the second intrusion, but as I said... you were specifically requested to join and become active. Please consider getting involved

    Dave
    eRecipeCards.com


    And of course, if you would like to be removed from our mailing list, just reply and put REMOVE FROM LIST in the subject line)

    ...



    Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you d0. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    A friend of yours asked me to contact you about posting recipes. We offer many services, not the least of which is an electronic recipe card file (an eRecipeBOX) that stores links (not the recipes, but links to your blog). Someone you know would like to see you posting your ideas.

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/
    And of course, once you get the hang of it, make us a daily habit. We are inclusive and would love to host ALL of your recipes (no arbitrary “judging”).

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!

    And we get visits from lots of first time bloggers. Established pros are always welcome to show the newbies… “How it’s Done”!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Interesting recipe! Hope to see you next week! Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for
    Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-october-4-2011/

    If you have grain-free recipes please visit Wednesday night for a grain-free linky carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge starting Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds Great! add candycap mushrooms instead of maple syurp :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts