Black Walnut Pumpkin Soup

I'm revisiting another recipe for the Wild Things Round Up.  If you've got a black walnut recipe that you'd like to share, please send it to wildthingsroundup@gmail.com before the end of the month!

----------------------------

Remember the little Halloween adventure I had to harvest black walnuts? Well, I only ended up with a five gallon bucket full of them. And after being husked and picked, that doesn't leave a whole lot of black walnut meat to work with. But it's ok, because black walnuts are a very flavorful nut and a little goes a long way.

But still, with so little black walnut meat on hand, they will be doled out as a treat. This week, I made my first recipe with them
- a pumpkin and black walnut soup - which packs a great big black walnut flavor punch using very few nuts. It's one of those recipes where the sum is greater than the parts, because with only a few ingredients, you can make a wildly luxurious and rich soup perfect to cozy up with on a cold winter night, or to serve for the finest occasion. Black walnut and pumpkin soup is one of my all-time favorites.

I used leftover roasted and mashed pumpkin for this recipe (because I took a two quart casserole of pumpkin to a dinner party and was the only person that ate any!), which made for a quick cook. But if you have fresh, just simmer peeled cubes of pumpkin in the soup. Also, any winter squash or even sweet potatoes will work in this recipe.

Start by sweating a small diced onion and 1/4 - 1/3 c. of chopped black walnuts in butter over low heat. When the onions have become translucent, add in 2-3 cups of mashed pumpkin, then top off with water* to make a soup consistency. Simmer over medium heat for ten minutes to let the flavors combine. Puree the soup with a blender, finish with some heavy cream, and add salt and pepper to taste.

*I really prefer to use water over stock in black walnut pumpkin soup because I feel that stock muddies the flavor.

I'm sharing this recipe with Pennywise Platter at the Nourishing Gourmet, and Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

Comments

  1. Oh Butter, what a lovely soup - I love its simple goodness. I struggle with simple - I always want to add too much when I cook, knowing just the right amount of stuff to add to a dish is such a gift you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love warm soup during cold winter days. It cold here. This soups sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is an intriguing recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that does look good. I've never had black walnuts in my life- what do they taste like?
    Here from Pennywise Platter Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy :). You are so kind, my friend.

    Penniless - Argh, I wish I could describe the taste of black walnuts. To my tongue, they taste nothing like english walnuts. Black walnuts are intense, something deep and dark and born of wood, yet sweet and balanced and earthy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine the silken feel on my tongue- delicious! I bet that black walnuts are something I could forage...but I'd have to go on a hunt...people guard their trees w/ vigor so they can sell the nuts at the farmers market, but surely I could find some "un-owned" ones if I just look... I love this combo, it sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I think of harvesting black walnuts I am reminded of when I was a kid (many years ago) and my friend and I decided to sell some walnuts from the tree in her yard. We husked tons of them and ended up with stained hands that we could not get clean. We had to go to school like that the next day and it just so happened we were studying American Indians that day. In the middle of the lesson the teacher said "Indians skin color is the same color as Carol and Cyndi's hands" and she made us hold up our hands for the whole class to see. We laugh about it now but at the time it was very traumatic.
    I never would have thought to use walnuts in a pumpkin soup but it sounds like a fantastic combination. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thanks for describing the taste of the black walnuts. I've never seen them sold around here!

    I see that you linked up to Pennywise Platter Thursday- I'm trying to build up my weekly Thursday blog party on my blog, called the Zero Food Waste Challenge, where people link up to different ways they used up leftovers, used foods that would otherwise get thrown out, or just anything regarding reducing food waste. This post would be the perfect addition to my linky, because you made it with leftover pumpkin- revamped leftovers is a terrific way to cut back on food waste! I'd love if you could link up to it on my blog party!
    Thanks!
    http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/12/foods-worth-tossing-zero-food-waste.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible! I've never heard of black walnuts, much less seen one in person. They do look gorgeous and your description of them makes me want to try some ASAP. Thank you for showing me something new to add to my list of favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh...any one of these is sure to warm you to the soul! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather - That's cute, "unowned." =)

    Patty - Even if you have to buy them in the store, I'd recommend having a taste. They're so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts