Porcini Hot Chocolate


I really only have three words for you today - make this now.

Porcini Hot Chocolate


2 Tbsp. porcini powder*
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tsp. packed brown sugar
16 oz. whole milk
whipped cream
extra cocoa powder for dusting

In a small bowl, use a spoon to combine the porcini powder, cocoa powder, and sugar. In a small pan, whisk the dry ingredients into the cold milk. Gently heat the milk over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until it is very warm when you stick your finger into it. Take care not to let the milk get too hot, or it will stick to the bottom of the pan. Pour the warm porcini hot chocolate into two mugs, top with freshly whipped cream, and a dusting of cocoa powder (use a tiny sieve if you have one, otherwise just do the best you can with your fingers).

*I whizzed up my wildcrafted porcini (Boletus edulis) mushrooms in an electric spice grinder. Done in this way, they end up about the same consistency as the cocoa powder and blend quite smoothly into the milk, even thickening it slightly.

Comments

  1. I seriously wanna look at your brain. What on earth goes on inside your head that you'd ever think to put chocolate and mushrooms together.

    I want some like right now. Like I'm going to go to the store and try to find porcini just so that I can try it. You win evil genius, you win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, you don't want to look in my head. There's a flea circus, among other things, in there. Nothing worse than those tiny freaks running the show ;)

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine....I mean I'm trying to imagine but I can't quite figure out what it could taste like....mushrooms and chocolate isn't exactly peppermint and hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now see, I'd prefer not to have peppermint and chocolate in my mouth, ever. But this is bitter in just the right way from the chocolate, round and rich from the mushrooms, and not too sweet.

      Delete
  3. You know you're a mushroom lover if...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three back atcha: Yes please Buttah!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three back atcha: Yes please Buttah!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Goddess of Wild Foods, how you tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got no porcinis & it's breaking my heart, but I found shiitakes & that's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely play around with the recipe. I'm devoted to the flavor of porcini, but I think there are other mushrooms that would work here.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying this with the remainder of the mushrooms you sent me :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it try it try it! I need someone else to know how crazy good it is!

      Delete
  9. I think Imight have to mix up a big batch and have it all ready to go in case of a mushroom hot choc emergency. those happen you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason not to make up a big batch of the dry ingredients. I think I will be taking this to all of my holiday parties.

      Delete
  10. Ok, I'm not a big chocolate fan. But I'd try it just for the pocini goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that we have such similar tastes, including a lack of love for chocolate, I suspect you'll like this one. I can see a person who likes chocolate doubling the amount of cocoa, but I like the way the porcini dominates here, with only a base level of chocolate.

      Delete
  11. I can picture you dunking mushroom shaped biscuits in it........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes. I do very much need to find a mushroom-shaped cookie cutter.

      Delete
  12. Why porcini when dried candy cap mushrooms are available? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts