Chilled Black Locust Flower Soup


Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) flower season came and left in a flash, about five days long in my neighborhood. I enjoyed as many as I could while I had the opportunity, as they are very special, tasting like a cross between grape candy and pea shoots. From my experience, it seems that black locust blossoms are best enjoyed raw. It's been so hot that I haven't wanted to cook anyhow, which is how this soup came about.

Black Locust Blossom Soup


1 c. full-fat greek yogurt
2 c. whole milk
1 1/2 c. stripped black locust blossoms
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
4 cattail shoots, chopped (substitute 1/4 c. chopped cucumber)
1 wild onion bulb (substitute 1 small clove of garlic)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
6 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender, and puree. Serve cold.

Comments

  1. This is really inspired! I'll have to wait until next year since the rain took down all the remaining blossoms, but I will definitely file this away. (Seems like buttermilk would be good here as well...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, buttermilk would be wonderful. I just found a recipe for elderflower sherbet that uses buttermilk, so I've got it on the brain.

      Delete
  2. Black locust blossoms and cattail shoots in one super-colossal--are we lucky or not to be in the position to have those ingredients available and at the same time. Thank you, foraging fairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They're lovely together.

      Delete
  3. Stunning photo, great recipe. Such good work here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So elegant. I wish I had tried harder to find them this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find them now. Then, next year, scout them every week until you know they are close to blooming. Black locust flowers are mind-blowing when they are newly opened, but only so-so when they have faded, and that happens in a very short window of time.

      Delete
  5. So nice is this. Many a lovely way to spend a dinner with flowers in heat. Your recipe is nice for mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to try it yourself, Kerwin.

      Delete
  6. One of my all-time favorite foraged foods. When they're perfect, they're per-fect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts