Wild About Stonecrop - Stonecrop Wild Garlic Dill Pickles


Alright, you've got me.  I fully admit to a high degree on messing around and having fun in the kitchen.  But you know what, I feel like life is too short to take any of this seriously.  Playing is important.  Play hard, suck the marrow out life (and the bones, if you have the opportunity!).

Because I employ a large degree of creativity and art in the kitchen, some of my recipes turn out ok, they are rarely bad, and never inedible (yet!).  But sometimes, every so often, I feel like I've stuck a high note.

Such is the case with these wild garlic and dill stonecrop pickles.  Stonecrop (sedum lanceolatum) is a small succulent plant, no bigger than a finger, possessing fat juicy leaves, which grows abundantly in the mountains here.  I thought I'd experiment with making it into pickles, just see what would happen.

Let me tell you, I was blown away by the result.  These pickles are at once crunchy, and perfectly sour and spicy - as good as any deli pickle you could ever hope for.  This is a major victory for me, because I now know that I can have a stock of local/foraged dill pickles to get me through the winter!  And the best part is that these pickles take mere minutes to make!

Stonecrop Wild Garlic Dill Pickles

When picking your stonecrop, try to find smaller, more compact shoots.  Personally, I don't like them as much once they've gone to flower (although some prefer the flavor that way, judge for yourself).

Nip off any roots from the stonecrop, then wash.  Pack them into sterilized half pint jars, along with a clove of (wild if possible) garlic, and some dill seeds (I used some from my garden, two years ago).

Heat up the pickling liquid - one cup cider vinegar, one cup water, 1 tsp. salt, a spoonful of mustard seed (adjust ratio as needed), until at a bare simmer.

Spoon pickling liquid into jars of stonecrop, allowing one inch of head space.  Lid, allow to cool, refrigerate.

I'm sharing this recipe with Fight Back Friday.

And you can also find this recipe on Punk Domestics!
Stonecrop Wild Garlic Dill Pickles on Punk Domestics

Comments

  1. These sound delicious. Will have to take a trip to the mountains and see what's happening. Do you know if they have a season or are just available through the year? Now, you've got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not entirely sure, but the cacti freeze and turn yellow over the winter, so I'm assuming this little succulent dies back as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating. I grow a bunch of sedums, including rhodiola rosea (in the extended sedum family), for herbal use (the roots), but never thought of them as edibles.

    Are even the hybridized stonecrops edible? How about other sedums?

    Also wanted to share that I was at an amazing midwestern US workshop with Isla Burgess (Wild and Medicinal Plant Conservationist based in NZ) this past weekend, and thought of you and your blog, since she's so passionate and brilliant about teaching people to use their local plants for food and medicine. She's phenomenal if you ever get a chance to hear her speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick Autumn Joy leaves and use them whole in conjunction with sprigs of Lovage, parsnip, parsley root, celeriac, carrots, onions, leeks, celery, parsley as a vegetable base when making soup stock (beef or chicken). I also chop them finely and add them to ground meat when making hamburgers or meatloaf.

      Delete
  4. Would it be lame not to comment on the recipe at all, but how pretty the second picture is? Is that the mixture in a baggie? Sorry I just love the colors...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan - I've only ever eaten this variety, and one other that grows wild. I did a little poking around on the internet, and it seems that most sedums are edible, but there are a few that can cause stomach upset. I'd say your best bet is to look up each one individually. Let me know if you find any other tasty ones. And thank you for the tip about Isla Burgess.

    Christine - Thanks! It's a picture of the pickles, distorted a bit by the quilting pattern on the mason jar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whooo hooo! Baby! Punk domestics! totally rocks!

    To me wild garlic is ramps--so this sounds like something totally different that I have never even tried. I am always amazed at how much food you find and how you make it all so yummy!

    Big hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have houseleek that I've used for burns but didn't know there were edible sedums. My mom is trying to find a good reference book on edible plants for the Pacific Northwest. I wonder if we have anything like this here. I'll have to look it up!

    Angelina
    http://stitchandboots.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. With it being so wet up there, I'm guessing that there must be edible sedums. Let me know if you come up with anything. I swear, these were the best wild pickles I've made (I'm in the habit of pickling everything).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have ornamental stonecrop growing but didn't think about an edible version. Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for some on my next hike in the mountains.

    A pleasure to meet you today. Looking forward to seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having a hard time imagining pickles made out of anything except pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With pickles? You mean like cucumber pickles? There are so many yummy pickles out there, made with all sorts of veggies. Sauerkraut is a pickle, kimchi is a pickle. You can turn just about anything into a pickle with some brine, or you can let them ferment naturally.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts