Foraging - Get Your Real Foods for FREE!

When I started to dig deeper into foraging this year, it was mostly out of curiosity. I had thought it would be good to have a greater awareness of my surroundings, to know what foods I could eat if need be. That's all. I was really just hoping to have some adventures, and try a few new foods.

But what surprised me and made me a forager for life is that I can collect serious quantities of food by foraging, padding my fridge, freezer, and pantry. Week to week, throughout the growing season, I've been able to bring home enough food to seriously decrease my dependence on the grocery store. Add to that the crops coming from my garden, and I hardly have the need to buy any produce. Because I have to very carefully watch my budget, that alone thrills me. But here's the icing on the cake. These are wild foods, they trump anything I could buy at the grocery store anyhow from a nutritional and freshness standpoint, and that's to say nothing of their fresh and full flavor.

Just take a look at what I brought home yesterday - apples, grape leaves and tendrils, milkweed pods, thimble berries, red currants, black currants, and a mushroom. If you think that eating real foods is too expensive, I'd encourage you to take a look at how much food is in this picture, and take foraging into consideration.

Interested in following my foraging adventures? Click here to see all I've harvested this year.

Popular Posts